It’s winter. Home Sweet Home surely deserves some attention. Have you thought of your gutters?
Gutter cleaning is an integral part of house maintaining. As a busy homeowner myself, I know that gutter cleaning is often at the very bottom of your checklist, if at all.
House owners often wait to get their gutters checked and cleaned only after they notice a problem: Debris get collected and the gutter is literally tearing from the roof. This is very much like waiting for a heart attack before considering to lower your cholesterol.
Besides directing and draining rain water away from the house, gutters generally accumulate dry leaves and other debris, causing serious clogging. Trapped water can consequently rust and cause serious damage to your gutters. Additionally, small animals and insects are likely to build their nests among the accumulated debris in the gutter.
It’s not rare to see water damaging and ruining the very foundation of your house, compelling you to costly repairs. A situation you certainly want to avoid by all means!
Benefits of Cleaning Your Gutters
A gutter full of debris cannot play its role. Accumulation of dry leaves and other debris will prevent water from flowing down the gutter into the downpipes. This results in water pouring out of the sides of the gutter on to the siding of the house and into the landscaping. Consequently, restoration may necessitate expensive repairs and painting costs. Moreover, a clogged gutter can lead to rust and additional damage, requiring full replacement. The combination of organic matter -resulting from the debris- and water leads to the formation of mold, contributing to further clogging of the gutter. All these issues can be easily avoided in ensuring that gutters are regularly and periodically cleaned.
Regular gutter cleaning offers several benefits:
- Prevention of water damage to your house due to overflow. Debris can clog your gutters and causing water stagnation and overflow. Blocked gutters means water is likely to run down your siding and cause additional damage.
- Avoiding nesting areas for termites, birds, mosquitoes, spiders and other vermin can breed.
- Protection of expensive landscaping and maintaining value and beauty of your property.
- Saving money! Your gutters will have a much longer lifespan (even double the life – 20 years more). Sharp debris can damage your gutters, resulting into water leaking inside your house. When your gutters are clean, you help extending their lifespan.
How do I proceed with cleaning my gutters ?
While professional gutter cleaning by a licensed Company is always the safest way to keep your gutters and downpipes clean, many house owners prefer to handle this task by themselves. Here are tips that will help you get the job done safely :
- Safety first. Before climbing a ladder, be sure you have assembled items that will keep you safe when cleaning gutters.
- Clean the gutters. Use a garden trowel or a homemade scoop to remove debris from the gutter trough. For drier debris, a shop vac with a long hose and special attachment can suck leaves and pine needles out. And there’s always the tried-and-true method of using a spade or scoop in order to clean gutters out by hand…
- Flush the gutters. Flush the cleared gutter with water to wash out small bits of debris and check for proper flow. You can employ innovative methods like using a garden hose, spray nozzle, and wand extender to flush your gutters clean.
- Check the downpipes. Insert a pressure nozzle into the downpipe at the top and spray at full pressure unless your gutters show visible signs of rust in which case keep the pressure low so as not to add to existing damage.
Need a expert ? Call Peter James !
Honestly, it’s easy to understand. Cleaning gutters is time-consuming and it’s not much fun, and not many folks have the right tools and the know-how. Who wants to spend all day cleaning a gutter system that might stink with animal cadavers and/or other decomposing material? That is why professional gutter cleaning is a popular service. It it is affordable and effective and the best part about it is : You don’t have to do it by yourself.
Make sure to schedule your gutter cleaning quickly. Peter James Gutter Cleaning Melbourne offers an annual program. Sign up and let us professionally take care of your gutters. Your house will be protected for years to come.
You can call Peter James Gutter Cleaning now, and receive a free quote with no obligation to purchase.
Call now : 03 9681 7833